Get Vegetable Plug Plants: get growing food the easy way!
If you're looking to buy vegetable plants online to grow at home, then you're in the right place.
The Propagation Place has a bunch of delicious heritage and unusual varieties of spring, summer, autumn and winter vegetable plant plugs for sale.
It takes away the responsibility of gardening and caring for young seedlings and puts it in experts' hands, giving you economical and well established vegetable plug plants.
By getting your vegetable plug plants from Propagation Place you'll be directly supporting a social enterprise, which in turn funds us to continue supporting vulnerable adults in Bristol, providing peaceful, restorative time in nature therapy, access to education and community, and by removing barriers to social inclusion and employment.
You can visit the Polly-tunnel onsite Monday to Thursdays from 9AM to 3PM — go here for directions.
But you'll only be able to access the full catalogue of options on our website online.
The story so far
It all started in 2015, when St Werburghs City Farm decided that it wanted to do a bit more to support our local food system. As a tiny smallholding close to Bristol city centre, the Farm doesn’t have much space but we wanted to make a big impact. We worked out that if we could supply strong, healthy plug plants to our neighbouring 13 acres of allotments, we would be supporting our local food system, plus starting a vibrant community business that could provide loads of great volunteering and educational opportunities. Thus – Propagation Place was born!
Over the next 18 months, we engaged more than 240 volunteers (80% of whom are disadvantaged) to transform three overgrown plots on our neighbouring allotment site into a community growing space with raised beds and wheelchair-accessible paths. Central to the project is the propagation poly tunnel, where our expert horticulturists and teams of volunteers lovingly raise our seedlings, giving them the best possible start in life so we can send them to you.
Connect with us on social media for gardening tips and tricks!
The project seeks to:
- Increase social links and strengthen connections between local people through the creation and management of a community garden
- Support local food production across Ashley Vale
- Run a sustainable community business to carry the project forward through the sale of plug plants
- Help volunteers to gain confidence and skills
Through doing so, the project will:
- deliver benefits to people’s health and well-being
- give a wide range of people the experience and skills to grow their own food
- work collaboratively with volunteers and be designed and led by local people
- enhance the local environment to the benefit of both people and wildlife
- act as a nursery to distribute vegetable plug plants to local allotment holders and the wider community